Vivez votre vie comme si vous étiez le réalisateur et l'acteur de votre histoire, le film.

Friday, November 7, 2008

What I Had Learnt In Architecture School

100% personal experience. Could be insightful or boring, eventually it depends on you. I am writing this because a) i-am-fucking-lazy-so-I-do-not-want-to-study-in-the-moment-despite-countless guilt-and-motivational-thoughts and b) it is part of my life.

1. When an architecture student hangs out with architecture students, 75% of the time, we talked about architecture, architecture and more architecture. Despite you meet up for a chill out afternoon at the cafe or the beach, you will ended up talking about architecture.
Some of the architecture topics:

a. Hey, I have a problem in solving the plan/elevation/section/facade/car park/and.....
b. Did you hear about the building at XYZ country? So fucking awesome/ugly/ummmm... interesting/ and......
c. The future - do you want to work here or XYZ? Architecture firm's name?
d. That looks so interesting of how it frames the view/direct the people into/out of the place/
e. This building is so ugly ( hint : RMIT building 8 )/ waste of materials / poor connections/ insulting the building to the max.
f. also, "orgasmic, sexy, hot tamale" buildings
g. the infamous one, I have only X hours of sleep - usually none or less than your five fingers but if lucky/rarely 8 hours!

2. Meet more people especially your seniors

In my first year when architecture is not so intense yet and the work was at the smaller scale so the photoshop didnt murder my laptop, I always finished my work at home. All my inspiration and personal critics were my friends and housemates. Whereas in the second year, my workload is shitload and neverending and also, I hate to clean up the house at 4am but I have to, I decided to do my work at architecture building. Based on these two experiences, I will say, both has each own benefits but personally, I prefer to do work at uni because

1. since you are doing your work with your friends, you have an extra opinion from the same field of architecture. Sometimes, they might agree or disagree on your point of view but the best thing is they questioned and provided a different point of view. From this, it will help you to solve the problem and improvise from what you think is good.

2. The 3rd year students have done nothing but providing me good advice about their year and what to prepare such as subjects, silos, tutors etc and again, providing a different view about my project which helps me to bullshit during the finals (haha!) and providing solutions to the problems i had been dealing.

3. fun. especially 4am in the morning. when you decided to get drunk in architecture and funny stories followed.

4. you learn from each other.

5. you need to clean your table while the cleaning lady "helped" you to vacuum your space whereas if you do ur work at home, cleaning can be a pain in the ass when theres A LOT of BITS of boxboard, foamcore etc.

6. the computers are of course, more powerful, than my computer so it runs like a bliss in photoshop even A2s whereas my laptop cant really handle A3s, autocad and rhino.

3. Everyone goes through this phase : love,hate and make up and love!1

a. I joined architecture because I love buildings/making models/drawings/solving problem
b. God, I fucking hate architecture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What did I choose this fucking piece of shit? I want to drop this subject!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
c. I am in love with architecture ;)

4. Hot renderings/models make me orgasmic!

5. Be diplomatic if you want to criticize your classmates' model/drawings etc.
you will never know who you will work with, who is your biggest ally when the whole 120 students KNOWS everyone.
6. Sexual jokes never end.
i had few favourites which i had posted wayyyy back but theres a few classic ones
"Rhino porn"
"Archi porn"
"the plotter has been screwing me the whole day" - from facebook group (check it out!)
"Erection"
"Private areas"
"top 10 reasons why to date an architect
1. all night long, all night strong.
2. we are damn good with our hands.
3. if we can commit to chipboard, relationships should be easy.
4. you should see the things we erect.
5. use to doing things over and over again.
6. finishing early never happened.
7. we know the true meaning of interpretation
8. creative positioning.
9. work well in groups
10. entry and passage are always exciting."

an example of archi porn!!!!!!!!

7. you are always broke no matter how much your allowance/salary is.

8. we are living in an architect's wet dream....
because designing anything we want or vision how is it going to be does NOT EXIST in the REAL WORLD!
clients, budgets, bosses, deadlines - you have to please all of them.

9. fail is better than being a mediocre.

10. you will handle any criticism like a saint. those who cant handle a criticism will be bashed by the crit unless you have a good reason or deemed as rude young kids. its ok, we all know the crits could be a dickheads but be careful, it might cause you a grade.
an erected dickhead!

No comments:

À propos de moi

My photo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
limtehobo@hotmail.com

Blog Archive

trackies